Friday, March 7, 2008

Growing Up...


This morning my son was up before I was and as I was trying to get ready for work he offered to make breakfast for the both of us. While I cannot even try to keep up with him in the protein devouring department(meaning I had two pieces of bacon and no eggs to his 6 of each), I am quite aware that all three of my kids are making such leaps and bounds in the maturity department. I have never been one of those whip-cracking moms, as most of you know, preferring to model and nudge and set a bar of expectation. After a few bumpy years, it is constantly surprising all the ways that they are stretching their wings and moving toward adulthood: doing dishes, preparing meals, asking me to teach them how to make certain recipes, letting me know what they are up to, making plans for the future, being respectful and polite, remembering to take phone messages--it may seem like pretty mundane stuff, but every time lately they display an awareness of the world around them and show a little forethought and compassion, I just can't help but acknowledge we are speeding through an amazing process--growing up.

No comments: