Saturday, March 21, 2009

Getting Down to the Basics

It can be tough to maintain a sense of equilibrium and self-awareness when life is swirling and spinning. Lately, there has been so much movement in my world and I have been wearing several hats and masks--so many that it can be hard remembering who I am underneath it all!

I also haven't been doing much writing for the past several weeks--okay, until the past day or two, I hadn't done ANY writing in a few weeks. I definitely know myself well enough by now to know that lack of writing can start to feel really unnerving for me. I don't feel like myself and lose a sense of grounding and purpose. With kids moving out and moving on and marvelous new people and adventures, the lack of writing was becoming a problem.

So, I'm working on it--grabbing a notebook and pen and starting to scribble and scratch some ideas and such. While I realize that more writing means a bit more solitude and less "out and about"--I'm okay with that because it really is at the core of who I am. While people are barking at me because I'm not being and doing what they expect at work and as a volunteer (these past couple weeks have been very rugged on the volunteer front and I've been getting an earful about my flaws and inability to be on the mark at a moment's call)--it has reminded me that those are just little pieces of my life--they are not family, true friends and soulmates, or my writing and personal self that are being attacked. It is just a mask I choose to wear (for the time being.)

So, back to basics it is--it feels good to focus on those genuine, perfect elements that make my life make sense.

No comments: