Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Eve

Today was a baking day in kitchens all over the country. Not only was I slicing apples and making pie dough here in Wendy's kitchen in Indiana, I know that Tiger was also making pies and cranberry relish in her mother's kitchen in New Jersey. My daughter Lucy is planning to attempt her first solo pie-baking this evening as well.

It has been wonderful being able to let my hair down and get in some good visiting and wandering and playing here in Indiana. Of course I miss my kids and my girl and my usual routine of cooking dinner at my house but this year just needed to be different. This year has been different on so many counts and it seemed like Indiana was a good place for me to be. It has been wonderful and there is nothing quite like playing with old friends to help things feel a bit more settled. I am starting to feel as though when I return to Eugene I will be able to concentrate on the next wave of changes; a new home with Tiger, the holiday season with family and friends, and new work projects.

The world still feels off-kilter with the death of my father and the major moving and transition that we have all been through. The affects of the economy are being felt by just about everyone I know--particularly on the West Coast and I have no idea what the future will bring. No idea at all.

As I settle into this evening after a day of baking and playing in the kitchen, I am working to focus on gratitude and starting to formulate tomorrow's list of all the things I truly am thankful for--despite the rock-and-roll adventures of the past year!

No comments: