Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wedding Planning Mania


Who would have thought? I don't remember putting much "careful" planning into my teenager version of a wedding. While I had opinions and I remember picking colors, napkins and the like, I also remember having a somewhat casual approach. I definitely didn't think of it as "for life"--which says something about the decision-making of an 18/19-year old but it also says MORE about where I am in my life NOW.

Twenty years of increasingly complex event planning, partnered with the fact that I really am completely committed to Teri and cannot imagine a life without her and the result is that with the start of 2011, our wedding planning has been kicked into high gear! I have more developed organizational skills and my tastes have surely changed--not to mention that Teri has opinions, ideas and definitely preferences for how she would like to see our special day too. Strange to be at this place, at this age, and coming at it with the fabulous fresh spin of being a middle-age same-sex couple!

We have lists, folders, and a few wonderful spread sheets (25 years ago, I did NOT have the joy of putting the guest list into Excel and manipulating it around!); there are diagrams and measurements and time schedules--NONE of these were part of my world 2 1/2 decades ago. I NOW know enough about event planning to know that 7 months is not very much time at all when it comes to tending to all the tiny little details that make an important day...unforgettable. And I would do anything to make our wedding day unforgettable for both Teri and me...

No comments: