Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Toby...


Just when things were starting to get a little more sane and less chaotic around here, Lilly brought home this little rescue--wild-eyed, energetic, slow-to-learn--Toby (Tobias McLoven) has everything in a constant state of upheaval and disarray. Isn't it interesting how the youngest and tiniest among us--the MOST immature--have a tendency to do that?
Toby in the dishwasher, Toby in the toilet, Toby leaping into every cupboard or closet that gets open, Toby leaping onto the older cats who seldom get to just relax and loll away the day any longer. In fact, none of us gets to relax and loll away the day any longer as we are forever picking up toppled plants, scooping all of the "treasures" out from under rugs where Toby likes to stuff them, trying to find the pen or paper or cookie we just finished setting down, I'm sure you get the picture.
The interesting thing is that Toby is so at home and completely trusting--he came as a baby only a few weeks old and with two maiden "aunts" as mentor cats and four big people--there is always a lap, always someone to lick behind his ears or save him from danger and disaster. I am convinced that as far as he is concerned--we are all just accessories in his grand adventure.
As for my own environment, I am wondering if I am ever destined to have sane and calm or if this constant state of "What Now?" that has been my existence for the past two decades is how I am going to live out my remaining ones?

No comments: