Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Learning More about Advocacy and Activism


I have decided to take on a project even though I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I admit that it is a bit of a "personal project" although I figure if I'm bothered by it, then certainly others are as well.

Since I have been riding my bike more and more and choosing to commute to work, I am becoming increasingly aware of what does and doesn't exist in terms of trails, paths, routes and amenities for cyclists. I have also been walking, busing, etc. for a few years since I decided to learn how to live without a car. When Teri and I moved into our house together on Willow Avenue, I actually just moved across the river from where I was living but, interestingly enough, the bike and pedestrian trails on the EAST side of the river are better cared for, newer, smoother and better lit while the ones on our WEST side have no lighting from the Valley River Center bridge north.

The lack of lighting presents a problem for commuters and is definitely a safety hazard. Teri and I have had to take into consideration when we ride our bikes to the movie theater or to shop and wander at the mall. WHY NOT have decent lighting along the West side?

Well, I have no idea what the process or protocol is for proposing a public works project so I am learning. I started out emailing the city Public Works department and got a very quick and personal response. They are forwarding my query on to the Parks and Open Space staff and we'll just see what happens next. I figure that I have a very clear idea of what I'd like to see happen and why, now I get to learn how to advocate and how to be an activist for such a project...

No comments: