Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Developing a Passion...

In a very short time, I have gone from someone who "wasn't sure that I liked it" to an avid bicyclist. Okay, so I am still not willing to dump thousands of dollars into a bike (yet) and I am neither speedy nor heading out for cross-country road trips (yet)--but I do look forward to my daily bike rides and I miss it when I am too busy to ride.

Both Tiger and I have been tinkering and messing with my bike to make it smoother and more ride-able and it gets easier and easier for me. It WAS pretty darn sluggish there in the beginning. Yesterday, I went out for about a 6 mile ride just for the fun of it! Strange to be on my bike for an hour and not feel the urge to stop or head home. If it hadn't started raining there at the end, I might have tried to squeeze in a little more riding.

As I use the bike to run errands, go to meetings and appointments and just generally consider riding as a way to not only get someplace, but to get out and enjoy the world, I find that I am gaining confidence, strength and stamina and just generally developing a bit of a passion. Since I can now "almost" keep up with Teri, it is much more fun going for rides together. I LOVE that we are both into it and it is great fun to hop on our bikes and head off together to Lesbian coffee or for an afternoon at the bookstore.

As Teri said the other day, the weather is only going to get warmer and dryer in the foreseeable future so this is the perfect time to develop the passionate habit for riding!

No comments: