Wednesday, May 5, 2010

In The Garden...

The garden is evolving, despite the fact that it is all relatively new. Where there was nothing but moss and mud, there are now a half dozen vegetable beds full of all sorts of things: worms, plants, insects, food...

I would spend more time in the yard if I could get away with it. While I do not have the solitary, soul-feeding experience in this garden that I have had in other ones (I am seldom actually alone in the garden and I just don't have the time to spend hours working in the yard at this point in my life), I am finding that getting my fingers muddy and watching things grow is something I have missed.

I do love wandering out into the garden with my harvesting basket and gathering up a meal's worth of food and I am enjoying sharing the garden with Teri. It is quite new for me to have someone who is interested in weeding, planting and keeping up with what is going on out there in the beds. It is pretty typical for both of us to take visitors and guests out on a "tour" of the burgeoning beds.

So, as we fight with the dogs and cats and try to keep them out of the garden beds, and as we negotiate around a very unpredictable onslaught of weather (do we cover the peppers? plant the peppers? let them alone for the night?), and as we share various philosophies around what should and shouldn't be grown and HOW it should or shouldn't be grown, the garden evolves. The worms are multiplying in the compost heap, the ladybugs are finding their way to the plants and a spring season unfolds in a brand new garden...

No comments: