Monday, June 14, 2010

A Little Sunshine, A Little Play, and Feelin' Groovy

I was starting to think I was borderline clinically depressed; I was wondering if it wasn't perimenopause, hormones or some uncontrollable physical condition causing me to feel off, crabby, and generally un-satisfied. The fact was that I (and thousands of other Oregonians) just needed some bright sunshine, warm days and some play!

Saturday, we waited with grumbling baited breath for the clouds to clear and the long-promised sun to arrive. Sure enough, by around 11 am, the blue sky shone through and it started getting warmer. Teri and I were joined by our friend Vicki (who lives in Salem) and my son Stuart as all four of us got on our bicycles and rode the trails, paths and lanes to the Saturday Market. We had lunch, sat in the sun, swatted at bees and wandered around as the afternoon warmed up. We even checked out the new Voodoo Doughnuts--lingering over our sugary confections.

After Stuart headed off, Vicki, Teri and I rode up to Shelton-McMurphy-Johnson house and then home along the very busy river trail. After a brief nap in the afternoon breeze, we three got dressed and headed out to the Hotflash dance to get our groove on with the fantastic and energized crowd of ladies. Whooo Hoo!

Riding, dancing, gardening and eating fresh watermelon and pineapple--what joys! Sunday morning, we sat out on our deck in the sun and ate chocolate chip pancakes as we also sipped our hot coffee. While sitting there, I noticed a strange looking little bug and realized that we had baby ladybug larvae! The ladybugs had done their thing and the new babies are hatching in the garden! Teri and I were ecstatic.

We will likely get a little more rain in a few days but then more sun is promised. It is not nearly as warm today but just the brightness: the blue, the breeze, the waving and bending trees make a huge difference in my temperament. As I told Teri on Sunday morning after miles of riding and plenty of dancing: I feel ten years younger! And all it took was for the clouds to part.

No comments: