Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer, Summer, Where Are You?



We have been in a holding pattern--waiting for summer amidst quarts and quarts of rain. The last few days have brought a little break and the garden is shaking itself off and trying to take advantage of some warmer, dryer days to GROW. About a week and a half ago, Teri and I purchased 1500 ladybugs (okay, not all of them were actually alive) and set them free throughout the garden. There are still plenty out there (I am not sure where they went during the relentless downpours)and it is such a delight to wander through the garden and see them speckled among the plants.

Some of our early-planted "experiments" have not made it through the damp, cool period. Yes, I am THAT sort of gardener--one who risks weather and time to try to extend the growing season. The good thing is that we have an attitude of positivity about the whole thing and it is only the melons that didn't make it. Some cucumbers endured serious snail and slug attack but they seem to be bouncing back. Teri brought me some replacement and different melon plants yesterday and I plan to find space for them in the garden today (it is a perfect, overcast, transplanting day.)

It isn't just the garden that is ready for summer, but I am too! I want to do summer things, eat summer food, and just generally slip into the mode and joys of my favorite month. I know its coming, it is just that my patience is drowning in all this rain...

No comments: