Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day 2010

I am not a voting skeptic. I just want to get that out in the open. I realize that many of my friends, colleagues and peers have become embittered and burnt out with the political process. I am still fairly idealistic in a realistic sort of way. Because I have spent decades as an activist and organizer, I understand that individuals TRULY CAN participate in our government and in the "process." While I hear others talk about their disillusionment, I want to say that it is incredibly easy to get involved in the political process here in the United States. Not only do our votes matter and count, but anyone can get involved in local, city, county, state, and even national government. From testifying in front of the city council, to volunteering or starting a committee or task force, to running for office, we all have involvement and influence at our finger tips.

Now, I know that money talks. Boy, do I understand how that works! I have gotten as frustrated as the next person when morons are elected simply because they have more financial backing. But who were the morons or misinformed individuals who voted for them? And how many people simply vote "the party line" and refuse to question their own choices? Citizens and voters have a privilege and a duty to be informed, involved and concerned. When people tell me that either their vote doesn't matter or that "they'll show them" by NOT getting involved, it is all I can do not to seize up. Seriously, if you feel disenfranchised or uninvolved it is your own choice. Get out, do something, get involved and, at the very least, vote. Of course, you may not get your way, but participating in the process is a privilege...

No comments: