Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A June Like No Other...

It has been almost indescribable--the excitement, stress, tears, tantrums, laughter, reminiscing--with two daughters graduating it has made this June intense and overwhelming. Just when I was getting used to the idea that my kids need me less and less, I was suddenly jolted back into nonstop parenting, support, and triage. Not to mention I seem to not be able to keep the checkbook closed for long these days either.

I have no doubt in my mind, however, that we are all absolutely ready for the challenges of the transition. Unlike some who think that since it is crazy and disorienting, it must mean that no one is ready, I believe that it is SUPPOSED to be crazy and disorienting. That is how major life changes and developmental leaps are meant to be. We lose our footing, fall apart, and are forced to let go of our old way of being in order to make room for the new. We stumble and get scared and curl up into a ball and wonder why on earth we ever thought we could handle it--and then, we gradually move forward. We do what we have to do, what we are compelled to do, even though we are scared and pretty soon we are inhabiting our new life.

Lucy and Lilly can definitely use the prayers and well-wishes, but they are amazingly strong, creative, and unique individuals. Wherever they go and however long it takes them to get there (personally, I hope they take the long route and enjoy all the chaos and surprises along the way), I feel incredibly proud and confident that they have what it takes. They are so brave and courageous and both always willing to go to the emotional and genuine places. There is absolutely no way they can be anything BUT amazing!

No comments: