Sunday, July 6, 2008

Soul Mates, True Loves & Lasting Friends

Like most people, there have been so many people who have passed through, over and around my life. Some, whom I was instantly enamored of, slipped away without a second glance while there have been other companions and relationships that seasoned and weathered over time--surprising me by how unconditional and lasting they have been. Still, I continue to plod along and struggle a bit--working to appreciate the friends and love I have, letting go of those who are not necessarily meant to continue, and choosing new friends and companions with care and chemistry.

I am not always the most likable person, nor am I always terribly lovable. At this age, I find that I have more compassion for other people overall, and more for myself as well. Those truly good, amazing, unconditional soul mates are few and far between. We accept each other's fallacies, have weathered disappointments, bumbles, and manage to recognize each other regardless of how many years have passed. I never know when I start getting to know someone knew whether they will ripen into one of these rare people or whether I will be that sort for them--it is a mystery, which is what makes these genuine connections so rare indeed.

In May, my amazing Midwestern soul mate Wendy and I got these matching tattoos. We each put them on different places on our body but we chose and created the design together with some help from the tattooist and now she is with me in body and spirit as one of those great mysterious undefinable gifts.

I could list my true and genuine loves on both hands and feel absolutely blessed to have such abundance in this area of my life. I have been lucky. I have struggled and had my heart broken a time or two, but overall, the roses keep blooming.

No comments: