Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Grand Adventure...

My "stuff" is currently tucked away in a 10 by 10 storage unit; the keys have been handed over to the townhouse that has been home for nearly five years and all three children are launched out into the world and away from "mother's nest." It is a huge change and a huge transition and I am still not sure what I think or feel about it all!

There are moments of bubbling excitement when I find myself working away on the creative opportunities presenting themselves. There is also optimism as I do the house-hunting and explore different neighborhoods around town. There is also a pleasant reassurance when I consider how many friends I have had helping me and how supportive the universe is being.

As I learn how to connect and reach out to my kids in different ways and how to identify myself as a woman who is not solely mother and breadwinner, I am a bit ambivalent. It has been decades of being family and home-focused and now I have to figure out what the new order is going to be like. Where will I put my energy? Who will I choose to "hang with"? How will I structure my days, nights, career, etc.? It is somewhat shocking to realize that my life is my own again and while I am still very connected to my kids and want to be available and involved--I have to do it on different terms. I know intellectually that this is an opportunity for reinvention and reinvigoration--but I am still feeling my way along the launching of this new adventure...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I think it is definitely important to do some research before Changing career. There´s a company called Ascentador that talks about this on their website.
Cheers,
Jane