Thursday, October 1, 2009

An Opportunity for Reinvention


I have been stretched, pulled and upended lately and life has turned itself inside out in some pretty creative ways. All I know is that I have been determined to stay absolutely present and feel my way through every bit of it...

Strangely enough, through it all I feel so incredibly lucky. The lessons are intense--taking a job I didn't really want because it was the societally "correct" thing to do; letting go of adult children and an old way of mothering; allowing new intimacies and friendships to come into my inner world; living life on a completely different level than I ever have before...

My world feels huge and sheltering all the while the conventional realities like housing, money, family, etc. are precarious. I am literally flying by the seat of my pants and breathing through the stress of the unknown. Somehow, when I look in the mirror however, I am delighted to see the shining, loving eyes looking back.

The Universe has sent me some amazing friends and mentors in the past year or so--women who have survived, reinvented themselves and let themselves both reach out and tune in to who they truly are. I feel inspired. I also realize that we are all in this together and love the fact that I can let myself get open and vulnerable and feel so much support and encouragement coming back. I am so NOT falling apart but it is great to be able to say, "hey, I'm in this thing and I need a little help!" and have a whole village of people who will step in with a laugh, lunch, or walk.

I think we are all constantly evolving and growing in little ways but sometimes life asks us to really let go, stretch beyond our comfort zone and use what we have learned in the little leaps. Nothing feels familiar right now and yet I don't think I have ever felt more securely in tune with who I am. Strange this process of aging!

This is an opportunity for me to completely let go of the last forty-plus years of roles and misfitting expectations; this is an opportunity for me to really be intentional about who and what I let into my life and to embrace a creative and unique existance in a complete way. I love my friends that have become clan and finally feel that I am finding my way home...

1 comment:

Yaz and Rob said...

I am thinking of you and looking out for anything that might look good, housing and cat, and job-wise that is. I am off to class. Sending hugs. Yaz