Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Crash


As I have been biking more and more as a mode of transportation, I suppose it was inevitable that I would eventually have an accident. As Tiger and I were biking for an afternoon at the bookstore, I attempted to get up on the sidewalk via a business driveway to avoid a car smushing in on me and there was a graduated and lumpy lip on the driveway. I landed face first on the pavement and fortunately came away with basic surface injuries. Helmet was on and I do think the hard plastic visor that extends from my helmet helped keep me from battering my face up more than I did.

No stitches, no broken bones and the bike was fine as well. I figured it could have been worse--that loosely driven car could have hit me or I could have crashed in the street instead of up on the sidewalk/driveway pavement. While my vanity has been triggered, I really am quite lucky and quite grateful to be fine and healing rather rapidly.

The crash has not deterred me in my resolve to continue learning how to be a bike commuter! The next day, Tiger and I both mounted our bikes and rode off to have coffee with the ladies before riding to the mall for lunch and, finally, for a delayed visit to the bookstore. Tomorrow, despite predictions for continuing rain showers, I will be heading out to work on my bike again. I know the exercise is good for me, I actually enjoy the effort and the process and I feel really great about continuing my determined efforts to drive cars as little as possible.

I am also hoping that my meager efforts will inspire others to give it a try. Yes, I know I am in my mid-forties and not exactly anyone's idea of a bike commuter--middle-aged, a bit on the heavy side, and I don't have a fancy bike or fancy gear. HOWEVER, it is relatively easy, feels great and every little bit we all do is important.

No comments: