Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A New Professional Chapter


Sometimes, the universe seems to have plans of its own. I have long believed that when things fall into place in a near-magical way, it is important to take heed and listen to the directions the universe seems to be advocating. About two weeks ago, I woke up realizing that it was definitely time to go back to work and that perhaps, getting back into nonprofit management might be where I could be the most valuable and find some fulfilment. Yesterday, I sat around a table at the Community Alliance of Lane County (CALC) and discussed the particulars of my new job as Co-director (Development and Administration.)

This dynamic local organization works to promote, educate and mobilize for peace, human dignity, and social, racial and economic justice. I am excited to be working for an organization whose mission I can support 100% and it is also amazing to be hired not only for my years of nonprofit experience but also because I am an out and active lesbian. It dazzles me. I am looking forward to immersing myself in diversity and social justice causes and I get to do many of the "fiscal" and "development" things that I am good at.

While my career has taken some twists and turns and a few years ago, I was convinced that I really needed a break from nonprofit, it is intriguing to find that I am back in social and public service and it feels a bit like coming home...

No comments: