Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lucy starts at the University of Oregon


I spent Friday afternoon on the University of Oregon campus with Lucy and Meli--first we bought Lucy's books, then went to get Meli's and then I took both girls out to lunch at Rennie's. Meli then invited me to see her dorm room--it looked as though she'd been there a term instead of just one day!

I was in good company, wandering the trails and weaving in and out of energetic youngsters with the other middle-aged parents, carrying my wallet. I confess that while I am sure Lucy is finally feeling like a college student, I was totally feeling like "the mom." Sheesh, it only seems a couple years since I was helping her get acclimated to kindergarten!

Well, she worked hard to get here and she starts her first official term at the University with 36 credits--one term and she's officially a sophomore. She has her books, she has a bike, and she couldn't be more ready for classes to start tomorrow. Strangely enough, I think I'm ready too. I feel incredibly blessed that she wanted me to be a part of the process and I think we are both relieved to see all the hard work and paperwork come to fruition...

No comments: