Thursday, September 11, 2008

Politics, Passion and Involvement

There has been a lot of political talk going on around our house lately. We have always been one of those families who talked over current events and tried to stay abreast of what was going on, but the times seem to be calling for a bit more than talk.

It is inspiring for me to see how much my kids know and care about what is going on and it is incredibly exciting to see a new generation willing to step up and vote, get involved and try to understand what is going on and how it affects the lives of those around them. Between Lilly playing Obama rap & hip hop songs to the lengthy discussions Stuart initiates wanting to examine all different aspects of issues and concerns, I am being challenged to renew my own interest and involvement.

I recently joined a new board. I took a hiatus from boards, committees and volunteer commitments after nearly 20 years of nonprofit work a couple years ago. I needed a break, I felt burned out, used and as if I couldn't get excited about any causes or issues after two decades of fund raising, head banging and negotiations. I can honestly say I was feeling jaded and bitter. Now I have joined the Q Center board here and while I will be feeling my way to see what I can do and how I can help, I am feeling inspired to get involved and "do something" about the issues I care about.

I feel very strongly about being out and open in my life--as a queer woman and a single mom; I have always felt that I owed it to my kids (if to no one else) to try to stand up and stand out and be as open and honest as possible. I also believe we all have to do what we can, day by day, even if it is in little bursts and pieces--we have myriad choices every day to learn more, get educated, stand up for others and get involved. I have recently realized that while it is time for my kids and their peers to step up and get involved, I've still got a few years left in me too...

No comments: