Monday, September 1, 2008

"The Book"

I started the novel just about a year ago--maybe a little more than a year ago and I worked diligently--like a woman possessed through the fall and winter. As those of you who know me realize, I am not a novelist--I've never completed a full fiction piece in any traditional sense. The process was a learning one and one that was emotional, cathartic and intense. When I finally finished the first draft and edited it through a couple times, I had to put it aside for several months just to gain some perspective. My initial reactions were odd--I hated huge chunks, wondered who had actually written other passages, and was just generally not feeling like much of a writer at all!

6 months later and I WAS able to go back and start to work through it again. Yes, there were weak parts (there still are, really) but I was able to come at it all again with some fresh eyes and more objectivism. Anyway, it is done. Well, it is done for now and ready to move onto the next step. It could use some strong editing, I'm sure, but the time has come to try to find a home for it.

Again, anxiety, nerves, emotions--am I feeling tough enough to start out on a path of inevitable rejection--at least in the short term? I know, you would think it was something major instead of something as ordinary as the writing and pitching of a silly little novel. It begins a whole new process and a whole new learning experience. The creating, working and polishing is one process and the pitching and trying to find a publishing home is quite another. Meanwhile, to keep myself sane, I have already started on another project...

No comments: