Friday, January 29, 2010

Making Work Work...


My relationship to work is in flux--it has been a few months since I have had the "traditional job" but that does not mean that I haven't been working or "fundraising" as I have preferred to think of it for the past several years. I still do NOT feel a strong desire to get back into the nine-to-five grind of working even though I am completely open to something suitable and have been searching, staying open and sending out the 'ole resume. What I do feel a consistent desire to keep doing, however, is to keep up the writing work and that really hasn't faltered during the last few years.

Carving out the time, space, and focus to keep working is not always easy. It IS work and finding a balance between being creative and NOT giving up on the "real" writing all the while using my skills to generate regular income is a challenge. Boy oh boy, is it a challenge! Finding the courage to listen to my soul and continue to pour energy and effort into the writing is an even harder challenge. It is hard to explain why I think this is the right work for me and it is definitely hard to figure out how to make real money at it instead of going out and getting a job at something I have done before. I am trying to be easy and encouraging with myself.

I do know that if I stay focused and do the work, it is easier to keep working. I also know that I feel productive and creative and the more I write, the more I think about writing so that is a good thing too. What I don't know is what the future brings or whether or not I will need to abandon the efforts to do the writing work to get something more lucrative and societally sanctioned. Meanwhile, I try to stay focused and I try to stay positive about finding new ways to make work...work.

2 comments:

hischoolteach said...

As Samuel Johnson once said, "Writing without effort is usually read without pleasure."

Be true and kind to yourself, Kori. Do what your heart tells you. I wanted to be a teacher my entire life and now I are one!

Patty

Kori said...

Thanks Patty! You are right, of course, and while I know writing is what I was born to do--it is still work--of course!