Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Breathing, Settling and Sore Muscles

The road to the current weight loss of almost 25 pounds has involved a gradually increasing amount of activity and exercise--which I love. To be honest, I've become a bit obsessed and my kids have gotten used to my getting home from work and immediately putting on my sweats and sneakers and heading out for 45 minutes or so of sweating. It is partly the movement which I love and partly the fact that it provides me with a chance to decompress, breathe and settle.

As a typical air sign who is easily bored, I seldom do the same activity two days in a row but have found it amazing how quickly my stamina has increased and my desire to do MORE has grown as well. Those almost daily walks of my "old life" have become a combination of daily gym work-outs, jogs and vigorous walking, as well as choosing more walking, stretching and activity overall. While this does mean some sore muscles, it seems a small price to pay. My kids have been willing to join occasionally and we have had many a good chat over a brisk Sunday morning or weekday evening walk along the many fabulous trails throughout our neighborhood. This past Sunday morning, Stuart and I headed out for a walk before getting bagels at our neighborhood bagel store, but when we arrived, the shop wasn't open yet, so we tacked on another half-hour of walking and talking before finally gathering our fresh bagels and "lite" cream cheese and heading home with the Sunday papers.

While it is not a major lifestyle shift, strangely enough the focus on a healthier diet and increased exercise has added a great deal of grounding, focus and quality of life to my daily existence. Since I deny myself (or my kids) nothing, instead of a feeling of deprivation, there is a feeling of expansion and getting more out of every day--who knew?

No comments: