Saturday, November 15, 2008

Getting More Involved


I know that I wrote about cleaning house and settling in and that has been a fantastic way to get refocused and reinvigorated. I found myself getting more involved in issues that matter to me this past week and I'm not feeling a bit of regret.

In addition to marching, chanting and joining with hundreds of my neighbors here in Eugene for a protest rally, it was exciting knowing that our protest was going on simultaneously with hundreds around the country. While we live in an amazing time and change is on the horizon--there is still so much to do in regards to human and civil rights around the globe. I may not be able to do much, but I can get involved on whatever levels I can here in my own back yard.

Additionally, I agreed to take over the local leadership of a networking and social organization for lesbians/queer women. I really hadn't considered taking on such a big project for a while because I have been focusing on other things. My recent joining of the Q Center board, however, whet my appetite for community involvement and I find I have more time to dedicate to the causes that matter to me. There are those times when we are called upon or at least when we feel the tuggings to get more involved, do what we can, and dedicate ourselves to things bigger than ourselves and our own back yards. It was great to see so many people out in the cold this morning and it was great to experience the amazing power of modern grassroots organizing.

No comments: