Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Can Life Get Any Better?


I know that sometimes I come off as the gushing, dopey optimist and I'm afraid that sometimes I am! I am hopeless--I adore my kids, feel incredibly blessed to have a warm home, full cupboards and soft pillows, and I find that the world sends me constant surprises and re-affirmations. What could be better?! Of course that doesn't mean that I DON'T get frustrated, overwhelmed, moody and wonder what challenges might be coming around the corner--but overall, I cannot help but feel incredibly fortunate and grateful.

These photos show my kids very recently--this past summer at my Grandpa Tuff's funeral standing with my Grandma Peggy and when they were little--a trip the four of us took to the Oregon coast in 1996 or 1997. I was talking to a friend just yesterday about how incredibly blessed I feel that my three kids genuinely like each other and make an effort to get together. Yes, there is a bit of teasing and bickering and there have been some big "disagreements" over the years--but the three of them are close--they like each other and appreciate the similarities and differences.

Last night, Stuart, Lilly and I watched "Dirty Dancing" and laughed hysterically at the dated, formulaic film. I'm looking forward to the next few days of cooking, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, eating, a trip to the movie house to see "Milk" (Stuart and I), Decorating Day (we get out all the Xmas decor the day after Christmas and I named it "Decorating Day" a few years ago) and the intense feelings of appreciation I feel at having built this family. Sure, they are all heading in different directions but that only seems to bring a richness and intentionality to things. I cannot help but look around and ask myself how one earth could life get any better?! I certainly am one of the luckiest women ever...

No comments: