Monday, November 10, 2008

Cleaning House...

A weekend spent cleaning house can be a fabulous way to shift perspective. While I felt I already had put my house back in order after returning from Germany, this past weekend seemed a bit more therapeutic. It seemed that it wasn't just about hauling trash and vacuuming the unseen corners, but also about renewing my focus on projects and people. I've started a new writing project and spent lots of time with all three of my kids--walking, cooking, talking, watching movies.

It can be so easy to get off track without even realizing it. With such a focus on local and national politics, my recent trip and other things--I think I was feeling a bit off-balance. I needed to commiserate with some of my gay friends over recent political horrors, but I also needed to focus in again on what I do--taking care of my family, my writing work, and staying in tune with ordinary life events.

Like everyone else, I have no idea what the coming months will bring. I have certainly been affected by recent events in terms of my savings and financial investments, my concerns for my kids and the future, and my own sense of stability--but I also know that there is only so much I can do without feeling the weight of the whole insecurity on my shoulders. I tend to kick myself for every little mistake and to a grand extent--most of what is going down is completely out of my control.

So, I've cleaned house--out with the clutter and the unnecessary distractions--just in time to settle in for the winter and focus on the people and things that matter.

No comments: