Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Busy-ness of Winter

This winter seems to be shaping up to be a busy one. I'm alright with that since it does not feel at all manic or overly-busy, but the dates on the calendar are definitely filling up.

It is strange, but I am not really feeling the pangs of the impending empty nest and I am pretty sure that it is because my feels so full and expanding. Of course, I have learned that things move in cycles--there are those dark and sequestering times as well as the more expansive social ones. As a writer, I have learned that I need a balance of both. I absolutely HAVE to have the time to do the writing work, but if I don't get out and about and involved and meet new people, I don't have anything to write about!

Meanwhile, as my kids move around in the world, it takes more effort for us to get together but we all seem to be working at it. I am going for no guilt and flexibility. Meanwhile, my kids are making room for my other interests (they are quite used to it) too. I have recently taken over as the local leader of our lesbian social group--the Eugene Lavender Womyn--and have been busy learning the ropes of web site management, e-mail lists and other details. I finally felt like I had the space and time in my life to take on such a task.

With the holidays approaching, a new novel germinating and the constant call of events and activities, this winter is shaping up to be a comfortably busy one!

No comments: