Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine's Day...

Like many people, I have had a complicated relationship with Valentine's Day over the years. If you would have asked me 10 years ago (or even 5 or 6) how I felt about it, I would definitely be in the grumbling group. As the years have passed, however, and my understanding of love and connection has evolved, I'm okay with Valentine's Day. It isn't about romance and chocolates for me, but I'm okay with it...

I have been noticing lately all the scowling and terse lips when the day of wine and roses is mentioned and I feel compassion for all those people who feel as though they have been overlooked and excluded by a hyped-up day. I understand, I really do, but I also think that there is great potential in a day dedicated to celebrations of love.

The "trick"--I think--is to expand one's interpretation of love--it really does come from everywhere. It is not just about that longed-for, idealized, eternal partner relationship--love can come from every possible direction! Love is in the tiny details and the grand, sweeping efforts too. The really delightful realization was learning that all one has to do is open up and feel it; invite it in; and before one knows it, she is swimming in the love she shares and feels. So, yeah, Valentine's Day--I'm totally single and completely unattached on one hand, and yet I feel so connected and attached on the other hand. So bring on those hearts and flowers and chocolate--I think I'll send myself a Valentine this year...

No comments: