Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Update on the Triple A's...

Here is Lilly on the beach in San Diego--she sent me this photo taken with her cell phone just to let me know she was alright. We have had several conversations and a few e-mails and Face Book postings--it's not the same as being in the same house--but I'm adjusting...

Two months have passed since the start of 2009 and my declaration that I was making this the Year of Activism, Activity and Appreciation. While I had no idea exactly how it would play out--and I still don't--it is still my focus.

Last week, I was fortunate enough to be part of a panel of LGBTQ folks for two Human Sexuality courses at our local community college. I was honored to be asked and had such a fabulous time talking with the students. I was also eager to share my participation with my regular sphere of influence so it seemed to multiply the benefits of the activity. Me fellow panelists were fabulous and put me instantly at ease and while it was my first time being part of such an activity, I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm starting to get the hang of being busy with community commitments again. I have to say that I have so been enjoying meeting so many amazing new people and seeing how quickly connections can be made and multiplied. Again, I feel so incredibly fortunate to be able to move around in the world and as I remind myself to be open and say "yes"--the activism and activity opportunities just follow.

What surprises me most, however, is the warmth and expansion that comes with the third "A"--appreciation. In the midst of kids moving out, friends going through very tough transitions, a challenging economy and myriad other struggles and trials, I still find I am feeling so grateful and appreciative of being able to live life so fully. Strangely enough, the more that goes down, the more appreciative I feel. By reminding myself to focus on feeling thankful, I find continual opportunities in the course of a day to give a nod or smile of appreciation for all these grand adventures!

No comments: