Monday, February 2, 2009

Straddling the Edge of the Comfort Zone

I cannot lay claim to being "traditional." In fact, I fully acknowledge my Aquarian tendencies to be not only a bit non-traditional, but also sometimes eccentric, unpredictable and detached. Along with those character traits, however, I do have a strong vein of practicality and a desire for some of the basic comforts of home. I find myself lately spending most of my time straddling those two worlds. I am definitely pushing beyond what would be many people's comfort zone and I'm challenging myself to do new things, meet new people and try out different skills and such--but I don't want to be TOO uncomfortable!

I notice the same thing in other friends and acquaintances--they want to branch out and try new things or experience the world from a different perspective--but not to go so far as to lose all footing! Too much change and unfamiliar activities and people and we can feel incredibly disoriented. A little disorientation can be stimulating--too much can be disastrous!

I want to challenge and push myself and stretch my wings a bit and I probably have a higher tolerance for change, upheaval and the unfamiliar than some--however, I know that I have to take care of myself too. Especially NOW. I also have the self-awareness to have learned some of the places that I cannot go or some of the things that just don't work for me. Like so many areas of life, it all comes down to BALANCE...

Well, balance a little compassion...

No comments: