Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Taking Things to a New Level


I do not claim to understand all the minute workings of my personal mythology--even after 42 years, I still get caught off guard by the ebbings and flowings of elusive things like creativity, motivation, energy, focus, etc. I don't always know if I am taking calculated risks or foolish ones and I certainly don't understand how I can endure and tolerate certain things for weeks, months or years and then wake up suddenly one day ready for a change!

A couple months ago, I started toying with the idea of how to expand and organize my life. I felt as though I had pretty much maxed out all I was capable of with the resources I have. I work as much as I can, try to maintain a cozy and welcoming household for my kids and the fair amount of entertaining I do, volunteer and chair/coordinate activities for the good of the order, and try hard to stay afloat as a soloist in every aspect of my life. A gal gets a little tired I tell you. I couldn't figure out what to do: move, get another job (I already have two and yes, I am looking for more work), give up on the idea of making my writing my only support, buy a new car--what?! I kept trying to figure out what I needed to start to create more peace and less stress.

A friend commented that what I needed was a spouse or partner and this is what got me thinking in a new direction. I don't really see that happening any time soon--and all the reasons have been well-documented. I decided what I really needed was a personal assistant. Someone who could help get me organized and provide a little support and coordination for a few hours a week. While I have a very active social life and plenty of activities and responsibilities, I don't really have a support system.

So, today I am finally embarking on a new experimental adventure--enter the *new* personal assistant! Actually, it is going to be Meli--a long-time friend of my oldest daughter Lucy. When I put out the call for interested applicants, I did get a few responders but Meli was the most persistently direct and clear in her organizational capabilities. She may go running and screaming into the woods but we're going to give this thing a try. She seems to think she can bring order into my world and hopefully create some space for me to be more productive (I harbor hope that with a little help and support I can actually make more money and have more fun--not to mention do less "hack" writing work and more of what truly feeds my soul.) I know I'm probably asking a great deal from a couple hours a week, but let's just see if it doesn't help me take my life to a whole new level--there is a lot of work out there for me to do!

No comments: