Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Back in the Land of Nonprofit

Those of you who know me well know that I spent over 20 years working and volunteering for nonprofit organizations--I've held various paid positions, worked as a consultant and sat on boards and committees as a volunteer. In 2006, I got very burned out. I realized that I had raised millions of dollars for fledgling organizations and watched dysfunctional board after dysfunctional board implode. I was tired and I didn't feel as though I had anything else to give to nonprofits and charitable causes so I took a break.

No donations, no boards, no committees, AND I started completely over in the job department looking for different type of work. I wanted to focus on building my writing business, which I have and I really wanted to forget everything I knew about managing nonprofit organizations! Well, in early 2008, I decided I was ready to start making donations again and by mid-2008, I felt a clarity about where I wanted to put my time and energy: gay, queer and equality issues are at the forefront of my focus and that is what got me back into working with nonprofits--AS A VOLUNTEER.

I thought, perhaps, I would have truly forgotten what I knew; I tried to slide in under the radar and not be expected to share and perform but it didn't last long. As I was elected chair of the Q Center board last weekend and am now staring at the first grant application I've faced in 3 years--I realize that I am definitely back in the land of nonprofit. I confess, there is a great deal of familiarity--there is a confidence that comes with doing something one knows well. I suppose that old adage really is true and a person should "never say never." There was a time 3 years ago when I was determined NOT to have anything to do with nonprofits ever again. I was burnt, bruised and battered. But, after a hiatus and feeling a tug to get involved with gay rights and equality battles--here I am with my papers, budgets, forms and donor lists in hand. Welcome back...

No comments: